Implementing a system for managing checkpoints, spawning to them and saving the progress to memory.
Working on the gold crates and UI.
Gold is collected with particle system collisions and sucked into the player with a force field.
Basic pause menu with Unity's new input system.
The level is starting to look pretty decent, so I began spicing it up a little bit.
I wanted to add a really hard challenge that gives you nothing when/if you finally do succeed, so there's a useless radio tower in the middle of the section now (or the skeleton for it).
Giving enemies access to the roof with off-mesh links.
Splitting the day for blocking out and some necessary gameplay elements.
Not in Unity yet, but maybe tomorrow.
I will probably simplify/change this a lot to get a clean gold gathering mechanic and just move on. I made the destroyed crate with blenders Cell Fracture addon, which is great but I forgot to boolean out the overlapping parts so it goes flying the moment you touch it. Also I'm not sure how gold would fit in with the theme, but I don't need to worry about that right now.
Throwing some gameplay elements and buildings in to see how they would work with eachother.
I now consider dropping the final challenge with the rest of the sections, because I think one well made "hostile area" or section would show the potential of the game way better. In playtesting, it would mean less excuses to tell myself about not having enough time.
Blocking out more of the level, testing the blockout and rethinking scale.
I'm rethinking the order of sections and how they would play out. I started to create the first section where the player actually should be thinking and the scale is already getting out of hand. This section is supposed to be the 4th out of 7 and I'm really running out of time (trying to get this playtestable before 22.8 when uni starts back up), keeping in mind that I have to still do some gameplay programming (Gold gathering, save points, simple shop UI, hints, objective markers).
I'm thinking about making the 4th level more non-linear with ~2-3 objectives in the same space and making the 5th a final challenge where you can test out the skills you've learned (could be timed and scored or just a little more challenging puzzle).
Some thougths after testing:
Blocking out the beginning of the level, seeing the possible scale of things.
Starting out the level design progress by mapping level elements and working on a flow figure.
First I tried plotting down every game element I have on paper, so things like:
Some of these make no sense and some overlap with others, but it helped a lot when I was figuring out the flow because I could see what I was missing and what I can combine for later challenges. Also it cleared my mind a lot because this is a mess even on paper.
Very in progress flow figure:
Finishing up work on the main character animations, for now at least.
My spamming attack X/▢ did way too much damage so to balance this I created new attack types:
1. Basic: X/▢ "Primary"
2. Strong: Y/△ "Secondary" & Air X/▢
3. Stronger + Stun: Air Y/△
4. Critical Strike (damage 5x+)
I also changed the secondary attack to a thrust stab because the previous felt really clumsy. I might slow movement during this attack because it's pretty fast and high damage, but that's in the future.
Trying to get the animations to a point where I can move onto the level design finally.
Adding an air attack for the primary attack button (X/▢). Making attacking on ground look less like an activity on ice with an avatar mask. Now the ground attacks are way too powerful, so I'll have to come up with a solution for that one and finally move onto the level design.
Adding a ledge jump because it looks pretty rough without it. It isn't in the video because I essentially broke everything in the process and now it looks worse. I might have to ditch the idea altogether, because I probably should be focusing on something else.